The gloss is a major attribute of a product that offers a lustrous and shiny metallic appearance to the product. Measuring the gloss of the product is a major perception of human beings to inspect an object. This procedure plays a significant role in measuring of gloss helps to measure the psychological impact of products on a consumer and also affect their buying behavior.
How gloss influence the buying behavior of customers?
The gloss of a product is majorly influenced by different factors, for example, smoothness which is attained during polishing, quality and type of coating which is applied to the material, etc. Manufacturers in the automotive industries especially design their products with maximum reflectance and glossy appearance that quickly grabs the attention of the customers. Apart from the automotive industries, the black satin furniture, reflective car body panels, glossy magazines covers, glossy gadgets grab the attention of the buyers and play a significant role to affect the buying decisions of the customers. Therefore, it is quite important for the manufacturers in every industry to maintain the glossiness of the products constantly on every product or across different batches of the production.
The gloss of material also help the buyers to measure the quality of the surface, a single drop on a glass or a shiny coated products indicates a defect in the products. Therefore, the manufacturers of different industries especially emphasize on the gloss of the products whether it is automotive, printing material, food, pharmaceutical or consumer electronic.
How can gloss of products be measured?
The gloss of any product can be measured as an actual percentage of the shine of a surface when the standardized amount of light is reflected on a particular area and reflects back. The angle of light and the method by which the reflectance can be measured is determined by the surface of the material. It is the best way to ascertain the gloss of the surfaces.
Different Types of Gloss of Products
- Constant Gloss – It is also called as Haze or the Lustre. This type of gloss is observed from the angle of viewing and incidence.
- Specular Gloss – Specular Gloss is that proportion of light which gets reflected at a specified angle to another side of the surface.
- Absence of Bloom – It is measured by the measurement of haze or milky appearance which is next to the reflected light.
- Sharpness of Image – It is the Sharpness of reflected light.
- Absence of surface texture gloss – Perception of surface smoothness and uniformity.
Best Testing Instrument to Measure the Gloss
Presto Stantest deals in supplying high-quality of Gloss Meter – Triangle that measures the gloss of a surface of the material from three different angles i.e. 20 degree, 60 degree and 85 degree. It is a compatible instrument that can measure the luminous, whiteness, color differences, reflectance and other properties of different products when they are observed in different lightening conditions. It helps to measure the correlation between gloss and shine when the sample is placed flat. The value of the gloss changes when the sample is tilted at different angles. It is a highly preferred testing machine which is used to calculate the gloss of the materials. The testing device is used in multiple applications to measure the gloss of plastics, glasses, powders, clothes, ceramics, papers, and also the gloss and brightness of paints. The testing instrument strictly complies with the national and international standard test methods such as ISO2813, ASTM D523, ASTM D2457 and many more.
Technical Specification of Gloss Meter
- Measuring area as per different angles: 10x10mm by 20-degree angle, 9x15mm by 60 Degree angle, and 5x36mm by 85 Degree angle.
- Measuring range as per different angles: 0~1000GU by 20 Degree angle, 0~1000GU by 65 Degree angle, 0~160GU by 85 Degree angle.
- Division value – 0.1GU
- Measurement from Different geometry is also available.
- Chromaticity: CIE 1931(2º) under CIE C light source
- Communication Port: USB/RS 232
- Touchscreen Display: Capacitive
Key Expertise of Gloss Meter
- The instrument is compact, accurate, portable and sensitive.
- The tool is highly effective to measure the intensity of plastics, opaque glasses, ceramics, etc.
- Easy to operate and user-friendly device.
- Measurement standard adheres to national and international standards of gloss measurement.
- Standard Accessories that are provided with the instruments are USB cable, Power Adapter, software CD (except basic model), User Manual, and Calibration Plate.
- Facility of auto-calibration of data.
- Auto-save function enables test data to save automatically.
- Software based output of test results.
- Capacitive Touchscreen feature is provided.
- Simultaneous measurement from three standard angles- 20-degree, 60-degree, and 85-degree is possible.
For more information on Presto’s Gloss Meter, click here.